The PixLab Optical Character Recognition team is thrilled to announce that its document scanning API endpoint /DOCSCAN, is now able to scan U.S. Driver’s licenses and driving permits issued by jurisdictions from all the 50 U.S. states.
The /DOCSCAN API endpoint now allows any Website that is presented with a U.S Driver’s License, International Passport or ID Card to verify that the inputted information by the end user matches those present on the submitted or uploaded ID document image.
Usage & Code Samples
Given an input U.S driver’s license image issued by any of the 50 U.S. states, crop the license holder face, and extract fields of interest as follow:
Input U.S driver’s license image Car Vectors by Vecteezy
Extracted Fields Showcase
The extracted fields after successful call to the /DOCSCAN API endpoint are:
- License holder cropped face. This image will be stored on an AWS S3 bucket of your choice if you connect your target bucket from the PixLab Console.
- Issuing Country (USA obviously).
- Issuing State Name.
- Issuing State Two-Letter Code.
- License Number.
- License Holder’s Full Name.
- License Holder’s Address.
- License Holder’s Date of Birth (yyyy-mm-dd).
- License Issuing Date (yyyy-mm-dd).
- License Expiry Date (yyyy-mm-dd).
- License Holder’s Gender.
The code samples that is used to achieve such results are available via the following Gists:
- Python Gist. Also available on the PixLab Gitub Repository:
- PHP Gist. Also available on the PixLab Gitub Repository:
Algorithms Under the hood
- Face extraction is automatically performed using the /FACEDETECT API endpoint.
- /DOCSCAN already supports GET & POST HTTP methods so you can upload your document images directly from your application without relying on a foreign server. Refer to this Gist on how to do so.
- Upon the image processed on our server, it is automatically deleted. We do not keep trace or any log of your input images.
- Internally, we mainly rely on PP-OCR which is a practical ultra-lightweight OCR system that is mainly composed of three parts: Text Detection, Bounding Box Isolation, & Text Recognition. This combination produces highly accurate results in less than 5 seconds of processing.
- The official endpoint documentation is available to consult here, and the reader is more than encouraged to take a look at our production ready, code samples, available in various programming languages on the PixLab Code Samples Page.